(urth) TSH: Doris and Lupine

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Thu Apr 15 15:54:01 PDT 2010

Letter #18 bugs me, for two reasons. First, it is addressed to Millie, and
on p-132, right after the break, Bax wrote: "Joe came for the car. I know I
wrote to George about that." Well, no, he didn't. The first mention of Joe
coming out to look at the car was in the previous letter (#17, p-118), which
was also addressed to Millie.

Is this a mistake by Wolfe, or is it a left-handed comment about the
reliability of Bax's account of events?

Second, when Bax got back to Doris's car, a woman who apparently looked like
Doris got in as the passenger, after he had offered to return her keys. He
drove and suggested that they stop somewhere to eat. She said no. He started
to say that he would take her back to her apartment, when they saw another
woman standing by the road and waving. The waving woman proved to be Doris,
and when Bax stopped for her the passenger vanished, leaving behind a funky
smell.

A werewolf is defined in the book as a human who takes on the shape of a
wolf. I wasn't aware that a werewolf  could take on the guise of another
human. (Nevermind being in two places at the same time.) What, if anything,
does this episode say about Doris and Lupine? How did Lupine get Doris's
keys?

-Roy