(urth) TSH: Ted's identity

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Apr 20 17:06:05 PDT 2010

Craig Brewer wrote:
> But what about his connection to the werewolves, if there is one? He
appears to Bax in the woods the same time he meets Lupine. <

FWIW, my impression of Ted's ghost (if it was a ghost) in the woods was that
he was trying to protect Doris in some way from the werewolf. In the same
way, I thought that Winkle was also trying to distract Lupine away from Bax
by barking and getting the werewolf to chase her.

Earlier, It was also Ted's ghost(?) who intervened when Ieuan was beating
Bax. That was the man he mistook as Ieuan's father.

>And it still seems possible that whatever "wet" thing he had with him when
he appeared to Doris could have been a wolf skin...although why was it
embroidered with his initials? Obviously, its being wet is supposed to help
us identify it, but I feel dense for not quite getting it.<

I don't know what it was if it wasn't a handkerchief, but I don't think a
wolf skin could be said to have a "corner".

Well, hell! My wife hasn't read the book, knows nothing about it. But I just
described the scene to her that Doris described in her letter, and said that
a monogrammed handkerchief, the obvious choice, probably wasn't the answer.
She came up with stationery. Duh! In a book made up of letters! Who wudda
thunk it!

I have to think about this.

-Roy