(urth) Cutthroat "identity" from "TRACKING SONG"

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Tue Apr 20 12:58:34 PDT 2010

Sean Ako wrote:

> I believe Cutthroat is an anthropologist; a scientist studying the biologically engineered beast/humans of the
> planet.? Is it more than coincidental that he happens to fall off the Great Sleigh with a tape recorder, shaver,
> pocketknife and firestarter? Sounds more like he's ready to do fieldwork. As to his amnesia, who can say
> that it isn't their protocol for any fieldwork that they do (to encourage objective and honest observations/actions.)

Yes, I suggested much the same thing a while back:
http://lists.urth.net/pipermail/urth-urth.net/2007-June/007862.html

It's occurred to me since then that The Lost Pilgrim, collected in
Innocents Aboard, has a similar premise: an amnesiac scholar, thrust
into an alien and barbarous world. It certainly wouldn't be the first
time Wolfe revisited an old idea.