(urth) The Sorcerer's House Questions (*Major Spoilers*)

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 08:44:13 PDT 2010

My own take on New Sun is that the aliens are the dupes of the Increate.  I
have almost no textual support for this, except for the conversation in Long
Sun in which someone (Incus?) says that if a demon pretends to be a god the
god will convent them into himself.  While Incus isn't necessarily the best
guide, it's confirmed by the Outsider in Exodus:

"As I am claiming Kypris even now because love always proceeds from me, real
love, true love.  First romance."
So if the Hieros are evil aliens duping Severian by pretending to be angels
and archangels in the service of the Increate, they'll wind up being angels
and archangels in the service of the Increate, at least indirectly and
eventually.