(urth) The Sorcerer's House Questions (*Major Spoilers*)

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 08:07:10 PDT 2010

Maybe the point of the story is narrative desire.  In college, a professor
asked a class I was in if anyone believed that Trystero was "real" within
the world of The Crying of Lot 49.  I was one of the ones who did, and when
asked to explain why, I sort of blurted "Because it's a better story."

If Bax is a con man who made up all the fantastic elements, then the story
is prosaic, dull, and flat.  If Bax is utterly honest with us and every word
of the letters can be believed, then the story is straightforward.  If Bax
is artfully mixing truth and lies, and some of the supernatural events do
occur, then the story is fascinating and complex.  I want the best story to
be the "true" story, and maybe that's the point.

One thing that's significant about Wolfe's reliance on unreliable narrators,
and I think this is most explicit in Long Sun and Short Sun, is that he's
mirroring an important aspect of Christian religious faith.  Believers, for
the most part, rely upon the Gospels, accounts that are, by their natural,
unreliable.  Wolfe seems to think that this is or can be a rational choice,
but he's not interested in soft-pedalling the complications this entails.
But maybe there's a Chesteronian idea at work as well, which is that stories
that are *compelling *are more likely to be true--that human beings
naturally seek to order things into coherent and interesting narratives
because we think that such narratives best help us to make sense of the
world.