(urth) Neal Gaiman and 5HC

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Fri Apr 9 19:21:56 PDT 2010

This thread makes me wish I had published that (somewhere?) back when I
first figured it out, which was the first time I read 5HC in Damon
Knight's Orbit 10, in 1972 or '73. Too bad there was barely even an
Arpanet then, much less the Urth list. I think SF-Lovers was later, but
I'm not sure.

The name of the narrator was pretty obvious from the library scene
alone; the narrator looking for his father's books near works by "Winge"
(Vernor Vinge), "some German" (Kate Wilhelm), Virginia Woolf, and
Bertram Wolfe. Not terribly subtle. Figuring out the other two segments
was much harder; that took many rereadings many years later. I was
completely bewildered by them.

-- Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha