(urth) Hero as Werwolf

Jonathan Goodwin joncgoodwin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 10:47:54 PDT 2009

If someone has the original printing, or could check the other
reprints, and they all match, well, it's not final evidence that it's
not a misprint; but I would imagine that someone would have queried
him about it along the way. I think it makes sense as is, personally,
and is a characteristically Wolfean touch.

Also, the OED entry on "werewolf" notes: "The first element has
usually been identified with OE. wer man WERE n.1, but the form were-
in place of wer- (cf. however were- and wer{asg}ild WERGELD), and the
variants in war-, var-, makes this somewhat doubtful.
  Evidence for the real currency of the word (chiefly in the {beta}
and {gamma} forms) is rare, and confined to Sc., after the 17th cent.
In modern use it has been revived through folk-lore studies, and until
recently the most usual form has been werewolf, and occas. wehrwolf
from German.] "

The first entry from 1000 has "werewolf" as the spelling.