(urth) Silk for calde blog: Wolfe thesis

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Tue Sep 22 08:39:48 PDT 2009

On Sep 22, 2009, at 3:32 AM, Zachary Kendal wrote:

> "I should have been clearer in my original post, but these crude
> 'stereotypes' are what I *currently* have the impression are
> dominant. I gather, from the limited research I have already done,
> that most SF with priests as protagonists (not peripheral or minor
> characters) either use the priest to challenge (or shake or debunk)
> the priest's faith, or to have it reaffirmed. These two categories
> are, of course, generalisations.
>
> "I *plan* to argue that Wolfe finds a middle ground between these
> two *dominant* approaches to the priest. That he manages to do both
> debunk *and* affirm aspects of Catholicism (ritual vs. spiritual?).
> I do not plan to argue that no other author has ever done the same
> and challenged these two approaches.

To apply a slightly different crude overgeneralization: if you're
making a priest a major figure, then there's presumably a *reason* for
that choice, and that reason has something to do with his being a
priest, rather than, say, a fat guy, or a redhead.

At which point, you're probably committed to doing *something* with
his faith.  Shaking (perhaps to death) and reaffirming are the two
obvious things to do.

I suppose this wouldn't be true in a book where *everyone* (or at
least, many of the major characters) are clergy and therefore the
difference is in particulars of theology rather than being-a-priest-or-
not.  For examples of this, _Name of the Rose_, _Endymion_, and
_Anathem_ all come to mind.

Something I'd *really* like to see someone play with is: why is such a
large proportion of religion-oriented SF Catholic?  If it reflects the
background of the authors, then why are Catholics overrepresented in
SF authorship (and, concomitantly, why are there relatively few Jewish
SF stories) ?  I mean, just off the top of my head:

_A Canticle for Leibowitz_, _A Case of Conscience_ (which really is
dire), _Hyperion/Endymion_, "The Star", much of Wolfe's work.
Where's, for example, the Lutheran SF?  (If I were being snarky I'd
ask and answer where the Baptist SF was.)  Or even specifically
*Protestant* Christian SF?

Adam