(urth) AEG: Dr. Lao and Woldercan

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 09:01:37 PDT 2009

>>  If there are duplictes of humans on
>> Woldercan, it eliminates the need for hypothetical time travel and other
>> problematic solutions.
>>
> I find that solution very unsatisfying. Even if Woldercan contains
> duplicates of everyone on Earth (highly problematic -- how could such a
> wild place support them?) or duplicates of humans who came there (a little
> better -- it could be the original or an impostor who returns), how could
> Cassie be sure that the double would love her, or be enough like Bill for
> her to love?

If Wolfe intended this in his reference to the Woldercon of Dr. Lao, then I
would presume that he intended it as a place like St. Anne, where being
copied by native was a genuine possibility, maybe even a likely one,
although probably not a foregone conclusion. If it were a *real* copy then
it will love her because the real Reis did--if not immediately then when it
learns that Reis loved her. This a lesson to be derived from The Fifth Head
of Cerberus and the Whorl Chronicles (Long & Short Sun). If it is the *real*
Reis, then the Cassie is relying on the quality of the copy.

Hmmm...in the first chapter of AEG, Chase makes copies of some photographs
of Reis, tears up the originals. If this is intended as a metaphor then it
does not bode well for the originals of any copies made on Woldercan.
Perhaps *none* of the Reis's Cassie meets are real and the Reis she is going
to find is not real either.

J.