(urth) Cassie as the Ambassador's wife

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat Sep 19 23:05:02 PDT 2009

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> If Margaret is a future Cassie, then she knows perfectly well *both* of
> Sharon's names. Why stumble on Sharon? Like Mrs. Baker in FLF, she just gets
> things wrong. She called a safe-deposit box a "safety deposit." (153)

It's a little *too* wrong. Shirley and Sharon don't sound much alike.
She's just pretending not to know Cassie's friend. And her averted
choice of last name may indicate what she thinks of Sharon at this
point. There's nothing wrong with "safety deposit." That's an alternate
name for the same thing, in common use today.
> The known werewolf, Al, had a very agressive human personality. Margaret is
> meek and mild.

And if this is Cassie, she's an actress. Margaret is a bit too meek, too
scrupulously honest, and too good to be true.
> Post-castaway Cassie said, "I don't think I'll ever eat fish or fruit
> again." (288) Margaret could have eaten cereal. And she at least nibbled on
> a ham and cheese sandwich. (141-42)

The fruit for breakfast is one point against Margaret being Cassie, but
it's not a complete refutation. She could chose to do this for economy,
to avoid gaining weight, or as a quirk chosen as part of her role.