(urth) Cassie as the Ambassador's wife

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 04:17:26 PDT 2009

> Depending on Pavlatos's status, that
> makes three or four versions of the same woman running around
> on Earth at
> the same time. That makes any attempts to go back in time for a do-over
> problematic.
> OTOH, the attempts might account for perceived differences among Reis,
> Rosenquist and (maybe) Rusterman. Things get very messy.

Aside from the mess, it would make hash of any timeline of ambassadors. If
significant time-travel can be caused just by going to Woldercan, then Chase
and Reis might well have returned to Earth as long ago or as recently as you
please. The President never mentioned such a phenomenon.

Also, you can only get one extra copy per trip to Woldercan.

Finally, I don't
recall any precedent for broad time variation in travelling to Woldercan.
Sure, a missive congratulating Gideon's parents on their child's birth
arrived before his birth, but surely not *years* before his his birth...and
certainly not beyond a single year.

I do like Pavlatos as another Cassie, and I want to see the time variation
employed in the plot, but if Pavlatos-as-Cassie or the three evil Reis's are
to be explained by time-travel, it would it not require a mad cognitive to
best all leaps?

J.