(urth) Tree Is My Hat & AEG

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 05:05:41 PDT 2009

> The book's epigraph suggests that the 'evil guest' is gold.

Yeah, but almost all Wolfe's novels have epigraphs. It's not typical for him
to hang the entire title on one.

That still doesn't necessarily mean that the title means anything strongly
related to the character and plot of the book. He has Lovecraftian aliens in
a story centered around a Lovecraft town.  Perhaps he said "I'll just stick
on a title reminiscent of a story by another gothic horror writer. Who cares
that this isn't gothic horror?" On the other hand, "The Tree Is My Hat"
might qualify as gothic horror.

J.