(urth) AEG: Dr. Lao and Woldercan

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Sep 22 00:13:49 PDT 2009

"don doggett" wrote:
>> I'd say that Wolfe tends to appropriate and redefine any bit of
literature and pop culture that appeals to him, and that he is of just the
right generation to have been a fan of the movie as well as the book. On the
other hand, he does mention Charles Finney (the author of the The Circus of
Dr. Lao) by name in AEG, so that tends to skew things towards the book. I
own a few copies of it and no, the townsfolk are not duplicated in the
novel. It's a wonderful book, Roy, if you haven't read it, and it has
influenced many great writers, most notably Ray Bradbury. It definitely
belongs in the canon of classic fantastic fiction.<<

Thanks, Don. I has been too many years since I read the book or saw the
movie, and I didn't remember Woldercan at all.

-Roy