(urth) AEG Cassie's food choices

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Mon Sep 21 09:10:30 PDT 2009

I was puzzling over Cassie's statement that she didn't think she would
ever eat fish or fruit again (288). It seemed inconsistent with my
theory that she was Margaret, since Margaret had fruit and yogurt for
breakfast every day.

But Cassie constantly changes her mind about what she will and won't
eat. She accepts anchovy toast from Klauser, and seems to really enjoy
it. So much for the fish resolution. It seems to be a red herring.

It would be interesting to track all the things Cassie eats. She
declares she is watching her weight, and will eat nothing but "cooked
veggies, raw veggies, bottled water, and maybe a little fruit" (p. 135).
But all the way through the book she breaks this resolution. She orders
double sherbet papaya delight (p. 27), a hot pastrami sandwich with lots
of meat (p. 54), anchovy fritters (p. 61), cookies (p. 142), rock
lobster in drawn butter (p. 228), and other fattening treats. Yet she
does stay very thin, even while she thinks of herself as fat. It makes
me think she might be bulimic.

In any case, she could easily get over her fruit aversion after a
reasonable period of time (just as she is shown to have gotten over her
fish aversion) so it's no bar to her being Margaret.