(urth) Cassie as the Ambassador's wife

Charles Tallman rocketsunner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:16:17 PDT 2009

> Where the hell have you been, Dave? Or is it Charles? You were missed.

Officially I'm Charles David Tallman, but I usually go by my middle
name. Some mailers have it one way, some the other. I unsubscribed for
a while due to pressures of real life, then found I couldn't get
re-subscribed for some reason. I put in a lot of Wolfe effort over on
WolfeWiki, then yesterday I thought of re-subscribing with a different
email address, and it worked.

> Reis seems not to have had a wife when he got back to Earth, judging from
> his comments about the South Seas in that other picture. So his Woldercan
> wife must have left him while he was still on Woldercan. She may be Madame
> Pavlatos, who is filthy rich.

Yes, Madame Pavlatos is a good candidate for the Woldercan wife. I
considered adding to the theory that this is Cassie also (rake-thin,
brunette, once-beautiful) all fits but the hair, which she could have
dyed. There is the lucky "coincidence" that she arrives to save Cassie
from being marooned on the island. I distrust coincidences in a book
with time-travel. She
may have come there specifically to save her younger self. Going back
in time to re-create a marriage is quite the Ignacio thing to do, and
while she's at it she can rescue herself. The Pavlatos name may be a
rebound marriage after Wally divorced her.

> Sharon said that Rian's mother "went to Chase, and her son's just fine." I
> don't know how old Rian was when Gideon fixed his heart, but I would think
> that in a matter so important to his mother, she and Gid would have met. If
> so, he gives no hint that he recognized her.

Rian's age of sixteen may be part of the time-travel paradoxes of
going to Woldercan and back. If Reis came back before he left -- I
think he did, creating greater a greater confusion for his foes about
the Reis/Rosenquist identities, then Cassie and Rian could have also.
They dealt with Chase first, leading Reis to consult him. Chase plays
a devious game throughout. He may have recognized Cassie and chosen to
say nothing.

> After selling the diamonds, Cassie was the richest woman in the state.
> Rian's mother was rich and still alive. Pavlatos was filthy rich, whether or
> not she was also Rian's mother. Then there is poor Margaret. How did she
> come to be the only version not rich? Depending on Pavlatos's status, that
> makes three or four versions of the same woman running around on Earth at
> the same time. That makes any attempts to go back in time for a do-over
> problematic.

Margaret may not be as poor as she appeared to be. She apparently
never took valuables from her clients (Reis had this investigated).
She needed to appear poor in order to play her role as a dresser and
get close to Cassie. That's all that matters.

Yes, this makes three versions of Cassie running around. Reis is doing
it also. No wonder there are confusions of all sorts, including
shifting addresses.