(urth) Cues and Lolita?

Matthew Groves matthewalangroves at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 15:57:08 PDT 2009

Glad to see some activity on the urth list.  In the interest of possibly
stirring up a little more:

I Lolita for the first time a few months ago -- Amazing!!!  (But difficult;
I recommend an annotated copy or an accompanying class notes booklet.)
There's lots of wordplay throughout, and one that I seem to remember
reccurring frequently is play with "Q" (as in "Quilty"), "cue," and maybe
"clue."  Has anyone made any connection between Lolita and Wolfe's short
"Cues" from TIoDDaOSaOS?  I haven't even reread "Cues" in a year or so, but
I thought I'd throw this idea out there anyway.

If any of you doesn't have any of Wolfe's collections, then that one (The
Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories) is the one to
begin with, both because it's first and because it's best.