(urth) Wolfe at Dragon*Con (AEG)

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Thu Sep 10 11:38:06 PDT 2009

James Wynn wrote:
> >> Look, Roy, Reis and Cassie were about to be married. But Bill
Reis --who
> >> loved Cassie as much for the way she adorned himself as anything else--
> >> could not arrange to have either his oldest friend there nor his own
son
> > to watch the big event.
> >
> > Huh? Where did you get that idea? Reis told Cassie that he wanted Rian
> > there
> > (p-276-77). Klauser received a wedding invitation (295), but was too ill
> > attend (278).
>
> Yes. He SAID he wanted Rian there. He SAID he wanted his life-long best
> friend there. But this man with all his money and power couldn't arrange
> have the ceremony when and where those close to him could attend?

Rian planned to attend (277). Klauser could not have attended, no matter
where the wedding was held, for health reasons. Reis could not have had the
ceremony just anywhere, not if he wanted the wedding to conform to his dream
of making Cassie his island queen. That is what the play was all about.

For some reason, you want Reis *not* to have died on the island. I can only
assume that you suggest Gideon died in his stead because Gid is the only
viable alternative. I don't think it was even possible for Gid to have taken
Reis' place, even if he had wanted to, for the reasons I have given. All
this stuff about the wedding is just your attempt to make it seem that the
man Cassie was about to marry was not Bill Reis.

Neither do I think it likely that Reis, posing as Gideon Chase, was
appointed by the sitting president as U.S. ambassador to Woldercan. No
matter how good Reis may have been at shape-shifting, there is still the
mass-conversion angle to account for. As for just altering one's appearance,
as Gid did to become Gil Corby, it doesn't fool mirrors (196) or cameras
(189, 194). The wedding invitation Klauser received came with pictures to be
displayed on a computer that showed Cassie and Reis kissing (295). I dare
say Klauser knew Reis when he saw him.

-Roy