(urth) The Guild's Revolutionary

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 06:00:57 PST 2009

>For instance, I was all aboard the "Nessus is Buenos Aires" train when
>I read _BotNS_ first at 13 or 14, because I was also in the throes of a
>Borges phase and Master Ultan was obviously, clearly, no question
>about it, Borges.  Same with "Baldanders."
>Later I found out this might be controversial.

I've always thought the Borges=Ultan theory was tenuous. Not impossible,
just not much supporting it beyond Utlan's blindness. Borges is a great
writer, but other than "The Book of Imaginary Beings" which cites the
Baldanders, I haven't noted much influence from him. Of course, that might
be due to a deficiency in my Borges knowledge.

>I strongly suspect if we actually put everything together that each
>reader had always said "Well, DUH, I didn't mention it because I
>thought everyone knew it already," then we'd actually discover a lot of
>stuff.

Okay. While Wolfe might well have been introduced to the monster
"Baldanders" by Borges, it comes from the Renaissance fantasy story
"Simplicius Simplicissimus".<looks over at it sitting on his shelf right>
According to the story, the name means "first one thing and then another"
because, like the wizard Taleisan, it is always changing into other things.
Although I can think of several reasons why Wolfe might have been attracted
to a "successive monster", as Borges calls it, I have no idea how this
relates to Wolfe's Frankenstein.

J.