(urth) The Guild's Revolutionary

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Sat Nov 21 18:26:40 PST 2009

On Nov 21, 2009, at 4:54 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:

> Fascinating!
>
> The "apparatus" is clearly a Kafka reference, and one that has been in my memory since I first I read that story as a child.

It strikes me that we could probably learn a lot if there were some way to get everything in Wolfe that seems obvious to some reader and pile all of those together in one place.  For instance, I was all aboard the "Nessus is Buenos Aires" train when I read _BotNS_ first at 13 or 14, because I was also in the throes of a Borges phase and Master Ultan was obviously, clearly, no question about it, Borges.  Same with "Baldanders."

Later I found out this might be controversial.

I strongly suspect if we actually put everything together that each reader had always said "Well, DUH, I didn't mention it because I thought everyone knew it already," then we'd actually discover a lot of stuff.

Sort-of-speaking-of-which as someone-who-likes-Baum-way-too-much (although I think Wolfe is Just Plain Wrong about Ruth Plumly Thompson), man, "The Eyeflash Miracles" is brilliant.

Adam