(urth) The Guild's Revolutionary

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Tue Nov 24 06:15:00 PST 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 1:56 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:

> Adam Thornton wrote:
>> On Nov 23, 2009, at 5:30 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> It's less of a pun than a Dantean contrapasso, I would say.
>> Potato/dried tuber.
>> Adam
>
> Goodness, is it my turn in the barrel again already?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that answer, could you please explain ti at greater length, Adam?

Oh, all right, if you insist.

I started from "potato/po-tah-toe", which is to say, one man's pun is another's Dantean contrapasso.  Only then I got to thinking about _The Waste Land_, largely because of one of my own works in progress riffs on it a lot and it's been on my mind, since it is another highly allusive work.  And that in turn suggested that one man's potato is another man's dried tuber (first few lines of _TWL_).

Martin Rowson, in his graphical novel of the same name (a charming mashup of _The Waste Land_ and _The Big Sleep_ with nods to other noir pieces) further did a tremendously funny dried tuber/dried tuba visual pun, but the margin was too small to contain it.

Adam