(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 63, Issue 5

adamattman adamattman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 14:23:56 PST 2009

that's plausible.

and it reminds me of this: (taken from:
http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2tmhh/wolfeint.html)

Q: What is the difference between science fiction and fantasy?

GW: Plausibility, really. Science fiction is what you can make people
believe; fantasy is what people have to suspend disbelief for. Many
physicists believe that there will never be a faster-than-light drive --
it's impossible. But you can make people believe in one, since they
don't know much physics. And there are some physicists who believe it is
possible. If you talk about somebody genetically engineering unicorns,
it's probably fantasy, because people don't believe in it. But it's so
close that you can almost touch it; we're almost at the point where we
can make a unicorn.

So it's all a matter of plausibility. Do people think, "The future might
be like this?" If so, it's science fiction. If they think, "This could
never happen," that's fantasy.

--------------------------

I was fortunate enough to read TFHoC first, as far as novels. I started
noticing Wolfe as a writer of short stories.

I sympathize with the complaint that the narrative of TWK is harder to
follow. The universe in which it occurs is at least as complex as
TBotNS's, having several levels as well as time "travel." Not many smart
and literate humans would be up to the task of coherently telling such a
story. And on top of all that, Abel seems to be from the "real" world,
which is of uncertain relation to the several otherworlds.

I think the illusion of "reality" is much better sustained in the Sun
and Whorl. That is to say, (1) it's more science fiction than fantasy
and (2) it seems to take place in "our" universe, so at least my
expectations were higher in terms of coherence. I approached those texts
thinking, "Make me believe!" With TWK, I simply thought, "Wizards!
Knights! Giants! Oh my!"

Reading TWK, I spent the first book wondering whether elves, dwarves,
and orcs were going to show up---how far was Wolfe going to take this
Mabinogion or Morte d'Arthur? Another way to put it is that basic
relationships (such as geographical or temporal) seem less important,
more flexible than in Sun and Whorl. And Abel doesn't try very hard to
help us.

Message: 3