(urth) Wizard-Knight sucks, or, is there any scholarly research on it?

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 21:33:38 PST 2009

See, I found Severian's voice and prose engaging.  He's a liar
(maybe), and certainly not above shading the story to paint him in a
better light than the facts might justify, but I thoroughly enjoyed
reading what he wrote.  I got the sense that underneath, he's not
really a terrible guy.

Unlike Abel.  Abel is a brute and a bully.  Didn't identify with him
at all.  I still liked the book, even if the "subvert heathen beliefs
to Christianity!" theme was a little heavy-handed versus some of
Wolfe's other books.  Like I said, it's not Wolfe's most subtle work,
but it's a damn sight better than most books out there.

-LH