(urth) There Are Doors

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu May 21 09:09:44 PDT 2009

>>> I bought "There Are Doors" at a used bookstore
>>> last week.  I am thoroughly impressed.
>>
>> TAD is the only "parallel universe" story to offer a systemic
>> justification the close similarities in parallel universes that have
>> major variations in their histories: Nearby universes are influencing
>> each other at a non-rational level.
>
> What's non-rational about people spreading artifacts, memes, and genes
> back and forth?

That's not the explanation given. Green compares the universes to two
adjacent guitar strings tuned to the same note. When you pluck one, the
other resonates. By the same token, men in our world wear black at their
weddings. There's no "reason" for it.  They wear black here, because they
wear black there. They wear black there for a rational reason: The man is
about to die.

J.