(urth) Gene Wolfe Fans Talk Politics (Again)

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Tue May 19 15:03:48 PDT 2009

You're familiar with Thomas Jefferson, right Lane? They taught you about
him in law school or college or something, I am sure, and you are just
pretending to be ignorant for rhetorical effect.

Go on with you: I am feeling favorably disposed towards you now and have
no real desire to explain Jeffersonianism to you, almost certainly falling
into one or more of your lawyerly traps along the way. I argue for fun,
not blood and would prefer not to engage with a professional unless you
tie one lobe of your brain behind your back or something.

...[W]hat country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not
warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of
resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as
to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure.

-- Thomas Jefferson

.