(urth) Gene Wolfe Fans Talk Politics (Again)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue May 19 14:32:52 PDT 2009

Somalia's economy is not "based on" piracy. It was based on fishing and herding before global shipping killed all the fish.

Read newspapers.

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:18:52 -0500
From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Gene Wolfe Fans Talk Politics (Again)

> > I am merely offering Somalia as the closest approach to the ideal of a
> > complete lack of functional civil society and to a Hobbesian all-
> > against-all of which I am currently aware.
> > I don't think it was founded as a Libertopia.  I think it does
> > approximate the end state of a society in which there is not a
> > government.

Libertarians and classical Liberals do not call for the withering away of
the state. That's some other political philosophy.

>From an L/L stand-point, I could reasonably compare Somalia's economy-based
on piracy to a Welfare State system. But then Gene Wolfe already did.

J.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090519-0, 05/19/2009
Tested on: 5/19/2009 5:32:53 PM