(urth) Gene Wolfe Fans Talk Politics (Again)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue May 19 13:47:38 PDT 2009

> Basically: the difference between a mostly functional police force and  a
> full-on social-services safety-net state is one of degree, not  kind.  And
> I hold that both those states are preferable to Somalia.

There are a remarkable number of false dichotomies in this short blurb.
Welfare states engage in far more than police service. If you were to
declare that large cities should only provide a police force, fire fighters,
and road maintenance, you'd find yourself voting in lock-step with Josh. So
put aside those as a justification.
If you really believe that a "full-on social-services safety-net state" is
important you should be happy to fund it to the same degree as your fellow
citizens and laborers. I agree that such a system could not be compared to
"robbing from the rich to give to the poor."

J.