(urth) The Devil in a Forest

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Mon May 18 16:17:47 PDT 2009

At 05:10 PM 5/18/2009, you wrote:

>I'm grateful for this discussion, because when I read tDiaF I
>thought it was just a quaint, but obvious, morality tale. Now, I
>realize that it isn't so "on the nose" at all. It's actually a quite
>exquisite bit of propaganda (unlike say "Atlas Shrugged"). Truly
>masterful propaganda is one where the audience doesn't realize it's
>being propagandized.

"Propaganda" may be just the right term for Wolfe. Originally it was
a term used by the Vatican for the propagation of the faith. It's
come to have a cheaper meaning. But tDiaF ends with a miracle -- the
only "fantasy" element in the book, and something Wolfe would claim
is not "fantasy" at all -- and is designed to set out a Christian worldview.

Nutria

>J.

James B. Jordan
Director, Biblical Horizons