(urth) Of Blog of the Fallen: "M. John Harrison, The Pastel City"

James Crossley ishmael at drizzle.com
Wed May 6 22:03:14 PDT 2009

On 5/6/09 7:48 PM, "Matthew Keeley" <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've always liked that blog; I wish I had as much time to read as does
> the proprietor. This is saying a lot, as I read a lot more books than
> most people.
>
> I haven't read Harrison, though he's on my (horribly long) list of
> writers to read. I almost bought Harrison's Viriconium a month or so
> ago, in part due to my reading of the afore-cited blog, but none of
> the bookstores in my area had it.

I'll second the Harrison recommendation.  He's an excellent stylist, in or
out of genre.  _Light_ and _Nova Swing_ are well worth a look.

> Several posts on the Blog of the Fallen mention Roberto Bolano - Has
> anyone here read him? Some aspects of his books, especially Amulet,
> bring Wolfe to mind for me. Bolano also reminds me of Wolfe in that I
> want to read everything by the man.
>
> -Matt

A heartier second here.  Bolano is the most interesting "new" writer to come
along in years, says I.  I'd say it'd be great to set up an urth-list kind
of discussion group for him, but his books are strangely resistant to
analysis, I find.

James