(urth) (mildly off-topic) Terminator Salvation (if Wolfe did it) Very minor spoilers

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue May 26 08:04:01 PDT 2009

***This contains very minor spoilers that you probably no about unless you
have avoided all the trailers***

I saw Terminator Salvation this weekend and I liked it with the exception of
about 3 minutes of political commentary that was about as subtle as
"America! F*** Yeah!" (except this was "GWB! F*** You!").
However, I was dissatisfied with what little opportunity the
writers/director made of the human/terminator hybrid. If Wolfe had told this
story, rather than having a merely "human-good/robot-bad" split personality,
the merger between the human-mind and the Skynet programming would have
become a new unforeseeable creature. Similarly, if Michael Crichton had
written this story, he would have had a morality tale about attempting to
use software to "ride herd" over a nearly chaotic system like the human mind
without the software being compromised. On the other hand, if William Gibson
had written this story, he would have had the hybrid become a new glorious
evolutionary step for humanity.

I suppose that level of nuance is a lot to hope for from Terminator IV, but
after 25 years of thinking about "What does it mean to be human?", it would
have been nice for someone to actually think about that.

(Funniest line from the Terminator franchise was Arnold Schwarzenegger in
Terminator II:
<soft tender voice>"Why do you cry?")