(urth) Gene Wolfe Fans Talk Politics (Again)

Jordon Flato jordonflato at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:26:43 PDT 2009

I currently make above $80,000.  I have made a little more than that in the
recent past, and MUCH MUCH less than that in the more distant past.

I'm certainly not speaking for everyone, but what I do now is MUCH MUCH
easier and more rewarding than what I did when I earned $7.50 an hour, or
$12.00 an hour.

I think it's a sad myth that those who make less money work less hard than
those who 'generate' wealth.  Some who hold that position have undoubtedly
help menial jobs.  Many have not.  I think you must be disqualified from
making a statement like that unless you've worked a labor intensive low wage
job.

I know that is an old canard.  But I've found it true in my case.

And I've certainly 'earned' my way to where I am.  I am from a very low
income family, with no breaks given to me, and only through my own dumb luck
and ingenuity have I reached my current position of relative economic
security.  However, I consensually pay my taxes, and appreciate the need of
society to deal with all of it's members in an equitable and humanitarian
way.  When I was a child, I certainly benefitied from the Welfare system.
My mom was off and on it for some time (not because she didn't work hard,
but because time were tough, and she had a hard time as a single mother
providing for me).  Now that I'm the one paying into the system, I'm
grateful to be able to help people who were once in my position.  Why should
I not want to pay into the system that helped me get where I am today?  If
not for those welfare programs, I would not be able to be where I am, nor
able to pay back into the system.

There is no system in place in the small town I grew up in for Private
Education.  Where would that come from?  Would I have to rely on a Religious
education?  What alternative system are you proposing that wouldn't require
a lifetimes worth of retooling/reinventing/locating private funding for that
wouldn't hamper an entire generation of future 'wealth creators?'

And this worship of the free market makes my skin crawl.  It is a great
system, with a lot going for it.  But it is as morally bankrupt and corrupt
as the government, or more so.  How is the Free Market any less oriented
toward robbery?

In any event, I'm not going to be able to argue this in any cohernt fashion
at this point, so I should just back out.