(urth) Gene Wolfe Fans Talk Politics (Again)

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 14:33:22 PDT 2009

I'd be interested in a citation to Washington's writings
for the quotation from his writings.  It's widely quoted
at Google Books with various differences in wording, but
the first hit I can find is from 1878 (in the Congressional
Record).

There are no hits on "Washington government
force fire servant master" at yale.edu, which includes "The
Papers of George Washington".

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_menus/washpap.asp

But that may not mean anything, as some books date
the quotation to 1785, and the Yale collection has nothing
that early.

This site (which seems to support a right to gun
ownership, but I just glanced at it) calls the quotation
"bogus", along with many others attributed to the Founding
Fathers.

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html

The quotation from Josh Geller appears to go back to Max
Weber and to be a compressed, indeed oversimplified, way
of saying the government decides what violence is
legitimate (including self-defense, which is legitimate
violence not carried out by the government).

By the way, who is Josh Geller?  (When I ask it that way,
the initials are a little disturbing.)

Jerry Friedman