(urth) The Devil in a Forest

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu May 14 13:25:15 PDT 2009

> I've read The Devil in the Forest and I liked it.
>It is good fantasy.  It's been many years since I read it,
>but some images stick with me.
>For instance, the witch who tells fortunes by throwing
>"the thigh bones of men."

It might have got by you at the time but Mother Cloot actually says:
"Thigh bones of men. [...] Tell a lie and be a lawyer--tell the truth and be
a trull. Murdered by me and their mothers, Mark; and every one is a left
thigh bone."

So she claims she collected the left thigh bones of male fetuses she had
aborted for fortune-telling. Of course, every verifiable statement  she says
is a lie so, who knows?

J.