(urth) Multi Limbs

Brian Lovely brian at studiobl.com
Tue May 5 06:11:12 PDT 2009

Some more thoughts about Neighbors, domes and blood.  If the domes are
greenhouses, it seems strange that the one Horn and Seawrack find has no old
growth in it.  Where did the plants go?  Were they removed for the purpose
for which they were grown?  The glass of the domes intensifies light, which
I have interpreted as meaning that the domes are greenhouses.  Seawrack says
she has seen structures similar to the ruined one she and Horn find on the
weed island.  If they are just shelters, maybe the light intensification is
to allow sunlight into an undersea dome.

As to the Neighbors hiding in animals, I think maybe the Neighbors used the
Marc's eat/spit out hybrid behavior of the trees to create animals capable
of hosting them.

What's up with blood?  We know that Wolfe uses blood transfer as a mechanism
of personality/physical attribute transfer.  Why does Seawrack react at the
mention of blood sharing?  I just re-read the encounter with He-pen-sheep in
the Land of Fires.  When He-pen-sheep says he shared blood with a shearbear,
Seawrack reacts with surprise/shock.  This happens again in Pajarocu.  Was
Seawrack transformed from a vanilla human to a siren through some blood
transfer mechanism?  The Mother likely made her a siren in the first place.
Could the Mother have altered the Neighbors so that they could escape the
Inhumi?