(urth) Blood Pudding (was Neighbors as Faeries)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 14:16:51 PDT 2009

> The inhumi are usually referred to as reptilian, but I got the impression
> from somewhere that they did
>indeed evolve from plants. Wouldn't be surprised if the Neighbors did too.
>It fits that they can survive when buried (thus, inhumi), and it fits the
>discussion of plant hybridization.

In some way that I haven't got my mind around, the Neighbors are trees on
Blue and the Inhumi are vines. The story talks about the vines being the
brides of the trees IIRC and the trees and vines being in endless war with
each other. This fits with the faerie motif of the stories which Tolkien was
also plugged into. It also works in a vague way with the Actaeon/Orpheus
connection.

If Rose can become a robot, if Chenille can be come an inhumi and then a
woman on Urth, if the Calde's girlfriend can become computer interface and
then a goddess of love and then sybil and then a general, if a Neighbor can
become a stag and then Horn and then Silk, THEN if wouldn't surprise me if
Wolfe has figured out a way for inhumi to become vines.

However, I have presumed all the talk of plant hybridization relates to the
Rajan after he is combined with Horn and Silk and whatever.

J.