(urth) Future Echoes: Hut in the Jungle +

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Mar 20 15:50:58 PDT 2009

>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, John Watkins wrote:
>>
>>  Dorcas thinks that the Claw works by reversing time.  I've always thought
>>> that that was wrong-headed--that it just works because it's divine
>>> power--magic.

Shadow Chap 24 (Orb omnibus 1 p148)
""I would tilt it as far back as I can, until at last the evil runs out altogether," I said.
"It might be the good that would run out. But I am like you; I would bend time backward if I could.""

Dorcas is the second speaker.
very interesting. "I'm like you: I would bend time backward if I could"

Dorcas intuits a lot of Severian's nature immediately in this scene.
more, from right before that quote above:
"In my ear, too softly, I think, even for Hildegrin to hear, Dorcas said, "Yes, you were. Your face was full of beauty, of a kind of nobility. When the world is horrible, then thoughts are high, full of grace and greatness."
I looked at her, thinking she was mocking me, but she was not,"

~Witz