(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

Jeffrey Brent McBeth mcbeth at broggs.org
Thu Mar 19 12:40:31 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:27:43PM -0700, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:20 PM, John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Agreed...but this is in the context of a discussion of Tolkien's work.
> > Tolkien veers between a benign anarchism (The Shire) and divinely-appointed
> > or at least divinely-sanctioned kings.  It seems then that "good government"
> > is holy or ideal government--government by the best (in the sense of "most
> > moral") people.
>
> However, the point is made at least once (by Aragorn), and so Gene "I hate
> it when they repeat things" Wolfe is bound to have noticed, that the "benign
> anarchism" of the Shire is permitted to exist only because of the labors of
> the Rangers, i.e., the King and his followers. Tolkien doesn't really "veer,"
> he's definitely in the "divinely-appointed King" camp.

Of the three major races in Tolkien (Man, Elves, Dwarves), only the
Men have the semblance of a divinely-appointed king.

The elves appear to be a meritocracy, and only in, one occasion can I
think of, do the elvish choices coincide with those most liked by the
gods.

The dwarves claim to be hereditary from the original 7 dwarves, and
seem to be largely ignored by any except Aule, which seems to be the
god that the bad guys in LOTR come from (Saruman, Sauron)

Jeff

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."
 -- Mark Twain