(urth) Babbie

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Mar 18 22:23:24 PDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 10:09 PM, James Wynn wrote:

>> Witz: I think there's some timeline screw up here.
>> When Horn get's permission, he's plain Horn. The Rajan writes about
>> it after the fact, with his Horn memories.
>> he'd have to be lying, which is of course possible, but...
>
> When tBotSS starts, it is the Raja who is writing. Not only is he
> Horn, but he is also Silk. He has already flown to Green and died,
> returned to the Whorl, and come back to rule. The Raja is a
> Neighbor, but he has all of Horn's memories and identity within him.
> Same for Silk. 100% of what Horn was is within him. 100% of Silk.
>
> The Raja makes a choice to assert Horn within him. He could have
> chosen to do the same for Silk. He doesn't for a very obvious
> reason. When he says he's Horn, he's not lying. He's disturbed. As
> so often is the case with Wolfe's characters, he's telling a lie
> that is also the truth, but it's not the whole truth.
>
> He denies his Neighborness for the same reason he denies he is
> Silk...because if he's really "not-Horn" then Horn is dead and he
> killed him. It is not until after the battle that he embraces who he
> is at a conscious level. But he still can't bring himself to face
> Hoof and Hide on the day he leaves for the Whorl --as he says--
> because he killed their father.
>
> J.

Ok. I just read that old post of yours, and I think I get you more
clearly.
http://lists.urth.net/htdig.cgi/urth-urth.net/2004-December/004360.html

You're NOT including Pas in your Trinity right?  just Horn/Silk/
Neighbor.  Not Horn/Silk/Neighbor/Pas.
It's very interesting what you're laying out.  but if the souls add up
to four, it's not right. But it looks like you're only counting three
souls, so it may hold water.
I think what is needed to really seal the deal for me is some textual
reason to have the Greenbuck a Neighbor. My memory loses track of lots
of things, but I can't remember justifcation for that.
I certainly felt, when I read the pit scene, that he had died, but
that may have just been Severian conditioning on my brain. Then I was
unsure aftewards.

~witz