(urth) BSG Spoiler vs Wolfe

Mark Millman markjmillman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 12:56:40 PDT 2009

Dear Enamel,

On Friday 27 March 2009, you wrote:

> What sort of love?  Love of some-
> thing higher, sure.  Romantic love
> of someone else, not so much.

I think most readers would agree that often--not invariably, but much
more often than not--romantic love is the starting point from which
Wolfe's protagonists advance (as he would probably have it) to loving
higher things.  In some cases, it seems to accelerate their spiritual
development.  In others, I'd argue that the romantic love begins it,
and that the advancement to higher things might not have happened at
all without the protagonist's having fallen in love.

[on Sharon's relationship with Helo]

> The whole thing struck me as very
> Wolfe-like.  She acted like she
> loved him for so long that in the
> end she did.

And I'd say that it's equally characteristic of Wolfe to make lesser
good things pave the way for similar but greater good things.

Best,

Mark Millman
(Nacre)