(urth) Gene Wolfe's Politics

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Thu Mar 26 13:46:52 PDT 2009

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:27 PM,  <brunians at brunians.org> wrote:

>> No, people will pay less taxes and therefore have more money and
>> therefore go bankrupt less often.

> I'm talking about the gummint going bankrupt, silly boy.

It's pretty much bankrupt up here.

Still a lot better place to live than where you are.

>> Every penny of taxes is robbed at gunpoint from a citizen, mind you.

> If you take that as your given libertarianism almost makes sense. However,
> it isn't a very exact description of how taxation works.

Do you really believe this? Come on, man. I know you got blinders to make
a carriage horse proud, but seriously.

>> You're just not used to living in a well-run society, Dan'l. Where you
>> live, the police are at war with the majority section of the population.

> Then I suppose I should be glad I'm in the minority. The police seem
> to me to be on my side.

Whatever you say, white man.

>> Well-run societies are inexpensive.

> Actually, I find that to be the opposite of the truth.

Like I said, the county is pretty much broke up here. No one cares. No one
particularly suffers. No murders, very little personal crime. close to
zero property crime. Volunteer fire departments work very well.

> Therefore, the best-run society is that which does the most
> to compensate for the imperfections of the individual humans
> that actually implement it. That seems to me to be a large,
> inefficient bureaucracy where nobody has the power to do
> too much.

On your dime....

.