(urth) Gene Wolfe's Politics

Chris P rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:33:07 PDT 2009

I've heard this argument, but there is no background for evaluation on this scale. There has never been what I assume you would consider to be a well-run society that was also a political/economic/military superpower that actively pursues global interests.

If you are suggesting we should give up on trying to be a superpower, or our interventionism (not just in military but in economic terms) then hey, I don't think that's too bad an idea. Though some other people would very likely argue that it could never work and it's not an option for us right now. They might be right, I don't know. But it seems extremely unlikely that we can have our cake (carry on as we do now) and eat it too.