(urth) BSG Spoiler vs Wolfe

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 07:10:01 PDT 2009

>Enamel: In BSG people have (and don't have) sex for
>all sorts of human reasons, and have all sorts of
>human reactions. In Wolfe people apparently have
>sex to show what bad people they are, and suffer for it later.

>Wynn: That's ridiculous. Do you really intend to compare the
>writing of BSG to Wolfe in favor of BSG?

>Enamel: Yup.  In the case of male-female sexual relationships,
>BSG beats the pants off of Wolfe.  The motivations of the
>people involved and the effects the relationships have on
>them in BSG are more interesting and realistic than what
>Wolfe has shown.

Wolfe doesn't typically set his scenes in "naturalistic" settings so I think
you are comparing things that don't map. For example, while the sexual
relationship between the characters in "Counting Cats In Zanzibar" is
realistic, the setting is bizarrely unconventional.

But your original statement that "In Wolfe people apparently have sex to
show what bad people they are, and suffer for it later" is simply not based
on...well, anything that I can see.. You are essentially ascribing to Wolfe
the stated opinions of Incus. That's just nonsense. I started to list all
the instances of Wolfe characters who are having sex with each other but it
started to get silly. Some people in Wolfe stories have sex and it ends
badly, but not because of the sex unless it was rape (and not always then).
Certainly, no one's sexual relationship in BSG ended well except for Baltar
and Six's.

If I were to ascribe a moral to sex in BSG it would be "sex invariability
causes people to act treacherously or cruelly."

We like what we like. I wouldn't spend 2 minutes watching "Grey's Anatomy"
or similar dramas regardless of how interesting (to some) or realistic the
relationships are. Not my cup 'o tea. That's what the flashbacks in the
finale reminded me of. They certainly didn't move forward or explain
anything in the current narrative.

>[regarding the sexual scenes in BSG finale]
>This reply is already too long, but don't forget Baltar.

Did Baltar even have sex in the final episode? If not (and I'm thinking not)
it a first.  Certainly, Baltar and Six's relationship was hardly less
realistic than Wolfe's and, in general, its purpose was titilation.

J.