(urth) BSG Spoiler

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 05:48:31 PDT 2009

On the whole subsistence/survival issue: Can I suggest that we're all thinking in the wrong way about this. I never saw BSG as anything resembling "hard" sf, so the question of the final move's realism is moot to me. (Besides, of course they fail: our own history didn't have some kind of magical leap in new technology from tribal to space-faring. Whatever Baltar "knows about farming" obviously doesn't last.)

Rather, it seems to me that the purpose of "going tribal" was largely metaphorical and suited the general moralizing tone of that final add on: even when they all start over and go native instead of trying to rebuild as they were, they start to create the same patterns they'd made before. So all of Lee's optimism is shown to be seriously questionable in the end. Even the "unsoiled" natives end up creating machines again in the end.

The only potential nod to the actual implausibility to me seemed to be when Adama says something about how none of their home worlds had as much wildlife as Earth. So maybe that was to suggest that they were used to a more difficult prospect of farming/hunting? I doubt it, really, but whatever. I just don't feel it necessary to start wondering about the viability of starting a subsistence lifestyle in a story where angels-are-robots-are-angels and dead people come back (and disappear) with no exaplanation and robots-that-look-like-people (and who wear fashionable clothes but live on gritty space rocks) end up mating with people to save both species. <grin>