(urth) BSG Spoiler

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 14:37:29 PDT 2009

> I think you underestimate the hardship of a subsistence lifestyle, no
> matter
> the fertility of the area you reside in and cultivate.

Of course they would not last a month as farmers. They would have to beg
their way into the indigenous tribes and learn to be hunter gatherers in
order to survive. Anyone who wants to understand how impossible it would be
for 99.999% of Americans and Western Europeans to go back only 150 years and
start a farm in Kansas should read the first couple Laura Engles Wilder
books. Those people spent their entire lives learning to subsistence farm
and that was with steel plows and tools.

However, having the colonists interbreed with pre-historic humans is the
only thing about this ending that I didn't mind. It's TVish and hokey but it
works thematically. You'd have to be at least in your 40s to remember the
"Chariots of the Gods" documentary movie that so influenced the original
BSG.  But the ending works at that level.

J.