(urth) BSG Spoiler

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 08:08:59 PDT 2009

I watched it last night with some friends and just want to say on record
that I loved it from beginning to almost the very very end when the robot
dance montage started.  But even that was a forgivable indulgence.
I agree with Jeff's take on Cavil's motives in his last scenes.  While
expressly an atheist character, who, like Baltar, manipulated the beliefs of
others, I thought that he convincingly had a moment of doubt there with
Gaius talking to him.  But that doesn't really matter, as the offer of
resurrection technology is what convinced him anyway.  The suicide made
sense--he was probably about to die anyway and his life was, in his own
mind, worthless without Hera, so he ended it on his own terms.  Of course, I
wanted worse things for him because I hated him, but in a way committing
suicide over one's metaphysical despair is as bad as it gets.

I think there's still some mystery about Starbuck.  Unlike the angels, she
wasn't aware of her nature until the end, and it's got to be more complex
than just "eidolon."  That only explains her corpse and disappearance, not
her knowledge of the song.  As for Harbinger of Death status, there's any
number of plausible meanings to it--one of which is just that she's a
harbinger sent from the realm of the dead.