(urth) Neighbors as Faeries

Jordon Flato jordonflato at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:09:44 PDT 2009

Well, I'll be looking for evidence of the Neighbor's personality manifesting
in the book in this read through.  There are plenty of instances of Silk
manifesting momentarily through Horn without his intention (which I don't
see how that has much resonance or meaning aside from a red herring if a
neighbor is actually inhabiting Horn), but I can't think of many instances,
save your ambiguous quote at the end about killing their father, where the
personality doesn't seem to be Horn or Silk.  I would expect, if you are
right, there are other clues throughout.  I don't see them.  *yet*  But it
does give me something new to look for in this read through!

I would agree that chasing the stag, falling in the Pit (which was in the
midst of a classic faerie circle of the ruins) represented a crossing over
of sorts, but I don't think it necessitates Horns death.  That is a turning
point in the narrative for a number of reasons, not the least of which is
that it brings Horn directly to the attention of the neighbors (without, I
would posit, necessitating a transfer of 'souls' into Horn).

I grant it is possible, but I just don't see it yet.