(urth) Babbie

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 11:58:56 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 2:52 PM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>wrote:

> I have to comment that this schema easily allows for the copying of
> persona/whatever by machines in the first place. I don't believe that
> machines could copy souls. Machines are the opposite of souls and could
> never capture them, I'd think. And there would be the theological
> implications. (Again, haven't heard from the Pope on this but I imagine he'd
> be pretty ticked off.)
>
> Electromagnetic brainwave patterns, however, present no difficulty
> whatsoever. Scan'em in, scan'em out, put'em on a floppy. In fact, you'd have
> to work harder to convince me that any Wolfean characters actually have
> souls at all than that their psyches could not be replicated and merged.

That's basically all an Aristotelian or Thomistic soul is, though--a
pattern.  In Thomistic philosophy, humans *have *souls, but they *are *the
unity of the soul and the body.  Think of the soul as the sum total of all
of your memories up to the present + your will, and that's basically a
Thomistic soul.  In theory, this could be copied--the copy would have an
independent will and independent consciousness, but it would have, for a
infintesimal moment, the same soul that you do.

I can't say that this is Catholic orthodoxy, but it isn't heterodox either.
It's a permitted philosophical viewpoint that merely requires a few other
theological assumptions to salvage its orthodoxy, which someone like St.
Thomas happily would grant (i.e., the soul is miraculously sustained after
death for the particular judgment.)