(urth) Babbie

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Mar 19 10:26:07 PDT 2009

James

I see from the Wiki for Aristaeus that you are way ahead of me:

"When he was grown, he sailed from Libya to Boeotia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeotia>, where he was inducted into further mysteries in the cave of Chiron <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiron> the centaur. In Boeotia, he was married to Autonoe <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonoe> and became the father of the ill-fated Actaeon <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actaeon>, who inherited the family passion for hunting, to his ruin, and of Macris <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macris>, who nursed the child Dionysus <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus>."

So Horn is Actaeon, who was turned to a stag by Artemis/Diana and whose own hounds tore him apart. I assume Aristaeus is Silk-like because he set an island town straight (executed murderers, brought cool winds) and introduced a proper Zeus cult. Pretty broad, of course: a gunslinger who kills the thugs terrorizing a town would also be Aristaeus, if he gets the townspeople to go to church more afterward. But I guess that's the point.

Can you point me to a source that is more suggestive?

Message: 2