(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Mar 19 09:06:00 PDT 2009

I will never get any work done today, with all these interesting topics!

He's referring to the empire of Charlemagne, the Holy Roman. The Frankish aristocracy assembled every year at Marchfield (not sure where that is, probably Germany) to approve rulings and such.

The line about "the people" is odd. But clearly the system became a parody of itself, one might say. Everyone in the system gained power until, in England, the King's butler basically became the Lord Chamberlain. (Literally. If I have it right.)

Thus, barons originated as free farmers.

Message: 6