(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Mar 19 07:53:40 PDT 2009

Naturally, a system of government that relies on the good character of the ruler is plainly not a good system. But democracy is no better in this respect.

Monarchy is also more dramatic, of course, and lends itself to certain treatments. But a good monarchy may be better than a bad democracy, at least in the short term.

In the long run, I disagree, because a healthy democracy has healthy institutions that stay healthy, thus diffusing power and preventing the worst abuses. I'm not sure Wolfe would disagree with that, but he is certainly skeptical, as he should be. We all should be. And even kings' power had limits anyway---true feudal monarchies tend to be very decentralized.

Message: 6