(urth) Babbie

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Mar 19 07:07:53 PDT 2009

Yes, exactly. I meant to contrast Wolfe's apparently traditional (in
fact, steeped in 2 millennia of thought) Catholicism with both dualistic
Protestantism and those Catholics who are in fact devil-obsessed and
thus approach dualism. (I don't know if such call themselves
fundamentalists or if they are something else.) For that matter, one
could also posit that Catholics who don't think much about God but pay a
lot of attention to the saints and Mary are basically polytheists.
Another dead end, but again not treated by Wolfe as "error" in the
Inquisition's sense of the word. (I suspect that the church of
Severian's time was much like this, with the people paying more
attention to their own ritual creations than to God. False idols again,
but NT, not OT.) It's my opinion that Satan is not really a Christian
belief anyway, just something inherited from past religions---a folk
belief and a symbol. Wolfe treats Satan as a myth, I believe, nothing
more, and not one that interests him. ------------------------------
Message: 5 Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:56:08 -0400 (EDT) From:
brunians at brunians.org Subject: Re: (urth) Babbie To: "The Urth Mailing
List" <urth at lists.urth.net> Message-ID:
<2993.67.142.130.34.1237463768.squirrel at brunians.org> Content-Type:
text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1

> > Thus, even the dead ends are not really "dead" just as the gods and their
> > myths are not really "false," and since the "traps and snares" I referred
> > to (Milton) are always set by the Devil, who apparently has no presence in
> > Wolfe (or if he does he works for the Increate), they don't exist. It's an
> > interesting contrast with Protestantism---and Satan-obsessed Catholicism?

Catholicism isn't anywhere near as Satan-obsessed as Protestantism. In my
opinion, anyway.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090318-0, 03/18/2009
Tested on: 3/19/2009 10:07:55 AM